21 May 2009

What People Say

Yesterday was my first day back to work after 10 weeks off. It was a nice mellow day full of interesting comments and really no work. Most of the day can be summed up within the following four topics:

  • welcome back - how are you feeling? (talked more about my health yesterday than I had all of last month).
  • you were gone??? (this by someone in marketing who I rarely interact with, so it is ok).
  • the one I was dreading - You have gained weight! ~ Really, no way, I would never have noticed that! Who says that to someone? Really? SRSLY??? Yes, I know I have gained some weight, but hey, I have been sick and recovering.
  • and my personal favorite of the day, sincerely meaning this: "You have such a good attitude about you today and I noticed you are smiling a lot. It looks good on you!" ~ What an amazing thing to say! The person then asked me what the difference was, I said that I am no longer in constant pain and getting away was a nice break, good both physically and mentally.
Now people, when someone comes back from an illness, focus on the positive DO NOT TELL THEM THAT THEY ARE FAT, cuz I am sure that they know that they are no longer the svelte beauty they once were. And it is just rude! But I was expecting the fat comment, from somewhere, someone, just was not expecting it yesterday. Oh well. It was rather funny. At least that is how I took it.

3 comments:

  1. wTF are people thinking sometimes? I swear, the comments that come out of their mouths.

    Excellent to hear you were happy to be back and smiling :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    It is pretty interesting being back. I think they are afraid to put me to work, I might break or something. I get to enjoy the "easy dayz" for right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some people are just stupid. And sometimes it's a cultural thing...I have a Japanese friend (Hideko) who is always telling me about how fat her husband is. It makes me cringe, although I can tell she means nothing by it.

    ReplyDelete